In order to complete the academic plan for international students, The Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration and Education Commission have jointly published rules governing off-campus practical training by foreign students. The “Shanghai Interim Rules re: Off-Campus Practical Training by Foreign Students” (Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Public Notice  No. 199), dated March 27, 2014, are reproduced below.
1. Article 1. Off-campus practical training of foreign students refers to the off-campus activities conducted by according to the education plan of the school, without receiving any pay(except reimbursement for transportation and meals).
Article 2. Foreign students who seek to engage in off-campus practical training shall meet the following requirements:1. students must be studying for a degree in colleges or universities in this city qualified to enroll foreign students and exchange students (except for language students);2. students must hold a residence permit issued by the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau to engage in practical training in the city;3. students are not allowed to have off-campus practical training at two or more work units at the same time; and
Article 3. Foreign students should carry their passport and relevant identity certificate all the time when engaging in practical training.
Article 4. During off-campus practical training, if information on the student’s passport or residence permit changes, or if the student changes schools or work units, the foreign students administration department of the college or university shall timely urge and assist the practical trainee to re-fill and submit the “Foreign Students’ Off-Campus Practical Training Certificate”.
Article 5. Failure to file with the foreign national administration department of the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau, or engaging in practical training inconsistent with the dates, location, or work unit indicated on the “Foreign Students’ Off-Campus Practical Training Certificate” will be identified as illegal employment. The Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration departments at all levels will punish the violators in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
- International Student go to ICES Building Room 202 with passport and student card
- International Students get Work Unit Guidance for Practical Training of Foreign Students and Foreign Students’ Off-Campus Practical Training Certificate and Application of Internship and Academic Plan from room 202.
- Students get Work Unit Guidance for Practical Training of Foreign Students stamped at company. Then bring Work Unit Guidance for Practical Training of Foreign Students, Certification of Internship for Foreign Students, Application of Internship and Academic Plan to ICES building room 217.
- Students wait for 10 working days and come back to room 217 to get School Letter and Foreign Students’ Off-Campus Practical Training Certificate.
- Students submit School Letter and Foreign Students’ Off-Campus Practical Training Certificate to The Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration.